Shift has a harm reduction and rights-based approach to sex work.
Shift is a Calgary-based program that provides support to adults currently or previously engaged in sex work. Shift uses a rights-based approach to sex work, recognizing that sex work is a choice for many and respecting the rights of adults to make this choice. Shift also recognizes that for some, factors such as poverty or exploitation can put people into situations where they don’t have control. The program meets people where they are at, whether they want to continue sex work, safely transition, or anything in-between.
- Emotional support and case management
- Free safer sex supplies and sexual health information
- Advocacy with income supports, housing, Child and Family Services, etc.
- Escort, massage, entertainment licensing information and support
- Support to access STBBI testing and treatment
- Referrals for low-cost contraception
- Working safely: “Bad Date” reporting, safer working strategies (date screening, condom negotiation)
- Referrals to mental health, substance use treatment, housing, financial, employment, basic needs, legal, etc.
Who is the Program for?
Shift provides support to adults currently and formerly working in the sex industry.
Shift offers education sessions to community service providers, students, and the public about sex work and related topics.
Bad Date Sheet
Our Bad Date Sheet circulates details of persons that may pose a threat to sex workers. Bad date lists can serve as a warning system, so that sex workers can avoid persons who fit descriptions on the list.
View the latest bad date sheet
Bad Date Forum
Shift has a sex worker only bad date forum. If you are interested in joining, contact shift at 587-999-3304 or firstname.lastname@example.org